About the Foundation
Fero Foundation is a private entity dedicated to the promotion of cancer research. Founded in 2001 by Dr. José Baselga, Fero Foundation supports translational research, a model based on the transmission of results obtained through basic research to clinical applications, enabling patients to benefit sooner from scientific advances against cancer.
The entity supports, among others, the Breast Cancer Centre at Hospital Vall d’Hebron (Centro de Cancer de Mama del Hospital Vall d’Hebron) and Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (Vall d’Hebron Instituto de Oncologia, VHIO), a highly renowned institution in the field of oncology.
Our mission is to promote research aimed at eradicating cancer as a cause of death
To foster and catalyse translational oncological research in Spain
- To promote the creation of support infrastructures at research centres and hospitals, in order to facilitate the development of high-quality, applied oncological research.
- To support the professional careers of our best researchers through competitive backing of excellent projects in the field of cancer.
- To foster a FERO scientific community which can lead cancer research and treatment in Spain.
- Scientific rigour
- Social commitment towards the community (patients, donors and researchers)
What makes us different?
- We are pioneers in the promotion of translational oncological research in Spain.
- Our activities focus on promoting and financing cancer research.
- We collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of specialists who guarantee excellence.
- We support tangible projects which benefit patients directly.
- We support research talent in the field of oncology.
2001Foundation of Fero
2007Foundation of VHIO
2008• Piru Cantarell appointed Director of the Foundation • Financing of the Breast Cancer Centre at Vall d’Hebrón University Hospital • Leopoldo Rodés appointed President
2009Award of 1st Fero Grant in Barcelona to Dr. Jaume Mora, from Sant Joan de Déu Hospital in Barcelona
2010Start-up Dr. Laura Soucek
2012• Dr. José Baselga appointed President • Financing of a sequencer at VHIO
2014Award of 1st Fero Grant in Madrid to Arkaitz Carracedo, from CICBioGune in Bilbao
2015• Start-up Dr. Maria Abad • Start-up Dr. Sandra Peiró
2016Financing of a sequencer at Ramón y Cajal Hospital in Madrid
2017• Dr. Rubén Ventura joins the Foundation as Scientific Director • Financing of a flow cytometer at Ramón y Cajal Hospital in Madrid
2018• Start of IRONMAN international registry in collaboration with Movember Foundation • Advanced Molecular Diagnostic Program
2019• Agreement with INCLIVA in Valencia • 10th anniversary of Fero Grants • Sol Daurella appointed President • Creation of the Scientific Advisory Committee, chaired by Dr. Josep Tabernero
2020• Award of 1st FERO-ASEICA Grant in Santiago de Compostela, to Dra. Cristina Mayor-Ruiz, Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) Barcelona